Archive for September, 2008

New Jersey Help For Foreclosures

Monday, September 8th, 2008

Homeowners who are struggling to make payments in New Jersey may have an opportunity to get out of their bad mortgages easier than they think. As a proponent for helping those who are struggling with home loans, I must first say that if you are on the brink, contact an FHA loan adviser to find out what your options are. If you are in New Jersey, consider this opportunity.

The Federal Home Loan Bank of New York is a large bank providing funds to many of the 200 local banks in the region, including those in New Jersey. The bank has recently announced an initiative to offer some help to those who are struggling with their current mortgages.

The initiative is called HARP, or Housing Assistance and Recovery Program. The Federal Home Loan Bank is providing some $6 millions to Magyar Bank, which is based in New Brunswick. There, the First Baptist Church of Lincoln Gardens will provide counseling to those homeowners it has identified as being in danger of foreclosure. Once these people have been identified, the company (working under The First Baptist Community Development Corporation) negotiates on the homeowner’s behalf with their lender.

They use the proceeds from the $6 million loan to offer up to 70 percent of the loan’s value to the lender. Most lenders are happily taking 70 percent knowing that these individuals are on the verge of foreclosing. The lender will simply write off the remaining 30 percent as a loss and turn the loan over as a paid in full loan (which Magyar Bank will now hold as mortgage holder.)

Sound confusing? It is, but there is more. Magyar Bank holds the loan, but the homeowners are now actually renters in the home, and will make payments to First Baptist. The rent amount is based on what the homeowner can afford to pay. First Baptists works closely with these now tenants so they can improve their credit scores and their financial outlook. Then, once the tenants are ready, they will hopefully be able to refinance the loan into a new one with better terms.

The organization is working with other organizations in the New York area, as well as other areas of New Jersey to offer similar opportunities. There are several families making the transition into new mortgages currently.

Is this the right option for you? If a program like this is offered, and you have exhausted all possibilities with other loans, including FHA loans, then consider it. Work hard to get back ownership of your home though!

Losing A Home As a Short Sale No Better Than Foreclosure

Thursday, September 4th, 2008

Do not make this mistake: Don’t hire someone to help you foreclose on your home or get a short sale for your home. You are wasting your money.

Next, don’t make this mistake: Don’t allow your home to go to short sale or to foreclosure without first contacting an FHA loan representative to find out if there is any help available to you. Most home loan borrowers will find some options to help them avoid losing their home to either of these financially devastating situations.

What happens when you go through a short sale or a foreclosure? What you may not realize is that both have the same end: you will lose your home and you will have long-term damage to your credit record. There is some evidence that both are just as hurtful to your credit, even though many will try to “sell” you on the idea that home foreclosures are worse on your credit than short sales.

What you do not need is to buy information or advice from a third party, especially when you are already having a difficult time with finding money to pay your lender.

Remember This!

If you do go through a foreclosure or you do have a short sale, one thing is for sure: you will be unable to get a new home loan for at least three years that is insured by FHA. Though there are some exceptions, they are few and only in dire situations. The fact is, if you do go this route, you won’t be able to get FHA insured loans later and that will hurt. More so, any time in the future that you apply for a mortgage, even well after those three years, you will need to state that you lost a home to foreclosure or to a short sale.

According to some experts, the only difference in the two in the long term is that in a short sale, you were involved in the process, or “at the table” for what happened. Whereas in a foreclosure, most home owners have little to do with the legal proceedings.

But, I’m Going To Lose My Home!

Those of you who are in rough water right now, hang tight. Contact an FHA loan advisor to find out if there are any current programs in place to help you through this difficult time. Most home owners are able to get the financial help they need. Many will find FHA loan options to keep them in their homes and to avoid all of these costly situations. You do not need to pay someone to short sell your home for you!